Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Interesting Historical Footnote...

Amidst all the sturm und drang over repeal of DADT this past week, the internet was alive with interesting posts.  I’m proud of the liberal/progressive bloggers who wrote intelligently on the subject and kept up the pressure  until the job was accomplished by the Senate.  It’s now up to the President to sign the bill on Wednesday morning.  I’m sure that the photo op surrounding the signing will be stupendous with everyone represented from those men and women who have been strong advocates for repealing the discriminatory law to those who dragged their feet.  I guarantee that all will be smiling into the cameras.
There were hundreds of interesting posts, some hopeful and many angry.  Whatever their mood, I hope that they all get remembered and saved.  
One of the most interesting posts was the following from Donkey Mountain that reprinted two letters. written in 1779 in the midst of the American Revolution.  [Here
Cold in my professions, warm in friendships, I wish, my dear Laurens, it might be in my power by actions rather than words to convince you that I love you.  I shall only tell you that till you bade us adieu, I hardly knew the value you had taught my heart to set upon you.  Indeed, my friend, it was not well done.  You know the opinion I entertain of mankind and how much it is my desire to preserve myself free from particular attachments and to keep my happiness independent of the caprice of others.  You should not have taken advantage of my sensibility to steal into my affections without my consent.
The second letter:
I have written five or six letters since you left Philadelphia and I should have written you more had you made proper return. But, like a jealous lover, when I thought you slighted my caress, my affection was alarmed and my vanity piqued.
We are told that this correspondence, later published by the author’s son, continued until 1782 when John Laurens was killed by the British.  When the author’s son later published his father’s letters, he wrote in the margin of the first letter, “I must not publish the whole of this.” [Here
The author was Alexander Hamilton...  
Let’s not tell the Tea Party folks...   

No comments:

Post a Comment