Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gillibrand Admired...

The New York Times finally woke up!  It’s always gratifying to report that the Grey Lady has found her way through a political thicket but this time we must ask what took them so long?  I’m referring to a major article in Thursday’s paper which chronicled New York’s Senator Kirsten Gillibrand efforts to pass the nullification of DADT and health care aid to 9/11 First Responders.  [Here]  
The article was titled, “Gillibrand Gains Foothold With Victory on 9/11 Aid.”  Gillibrand fought for months to repeal DADT and when the Senate finally did the right thing and voted to repeal it, she immediately turned to the health care plan for first responders.  Gillibrand and Schumer worked tirelessly together to get that bit of legislation passed.
Gillibrand has won the gratitude of the LGBT community but also the admiration of the liberal political establishment--no easy task.  As Ilyse Hogue of MoveOn.org was quoted in the Times as saying: [Here]
To have gone from a virtual unknown to being a major player on some landmark legislation in such a short period of time just shows what Kirsten is capable of.
We have written about Gillibrand before, but I wanted to take a brief note of the admiring attention from the Times.  It’s about time that they got this right.  
We have also written before of Gillibrand’s excellent staff work.  I do not know whether some of Hillary’s old staff joined Gillibrand’s office.  There is a level of professionalism and intelligence with just about everything that they do which suggests to me that there must be some connection with Hillary’s old Senate staff,--if not in fact, then certainly in spirit.
  
A personal experience with Gillibrand’s excellent staff work: I read the NYTimes article very early Thursday morning--pre-dawn actually.  Within the hour I was emailed by a member of her staff, calling my attention to the piece.  
I was astounded.  I am not a Gillibrand financial backer, just a interested NY, registered Democrat.  As such, I have been on her email mailing list during the last campaign.  I was so impressed with their email alert that I answered the email with my congratulations.  It was still early in the morning, but I received an instant thank you, using my first name.  In other words, it wasn’t a robo reply.
That, dear friends, is excellent staff work...
Gillibrand will run again in 2012.  Let us hope that the NYTimes remembers how impressed it was with her in December, 2010...

No comments:

Post a Comment